Saturday, November 1, 2008

Cauliflower Pizza Crust




I never thought I would have a wheat-free pizza, but this recipe for cauliflower pizza crust is a fantastic replacement for standard pizza crust. I first spotted it on Seattle Local Food, but it's originally from the Low Carb Examiner.

One of the best things about this crust is that it's almost as stable as real pizza crust. It breaks apart a bit when it's too thin, but I think if I make it a bit thicker it will work better. I made it about 1/4 inch thick and it should be at least 1/2 inch uncooked.

The other great thing is that it doesn't taste like cauliflower. Not that there's anything wrong with the taste of cauliflower, I love it, but it's nice to have this base for pizza that won't impose on the flavour of the toppings. I think the key to this is probably a long cooking time, too, to remove more of that cauliflower flavour.

Above are my two experiments with this pizza crust, both with leftover chicken from the night before. The first is a Hawaiian chipotle with red peppers, pineapple, and goat cheese. The other is a carmelized onion and chantrelle mushroom, also with goat cheese. Both delish!

Cauliflower Pizza Crust
makes 1 8-inch crust

1 cup cooked, mashed cauliflower
1 egg
1 cup grated parmesan (the original recipe calls for mozzarella

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cook the cauliflower as you like, and cook it until well done - I steamed mine in chunks for about 7-10 minutes. Then blend or mash it up, as fine as possible. Add the egg and cheese.

Spread the dough onto a greased cookie sheet or parchment paper, at least half an inch thick. Bake until the crust is dark brown, about 15-20 minutes.

Add toppings and put back in the oven until toppings are cooked and cheese is melted. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment